"The flower that follows the sun does so even on cloudy days." -Robert Leighton

Monday, March 1, 2010

Homemade Valentines

I meant to post this in February...but I forgot amongst all the illnesses we have had to endure.  Luke has a mind that doesn't seem to shut off.  He doesn't like a lot of TV-maybe 30 minutes per day.  He would rather be 'creating' new things all day long.  So it didn't surprise me much when this 5 year old annouced he was going to create his own valentines for his entire class....all 22 of them.  He happened to watch 'Martha Speaks' (which he usually doesn't watch)  and saw the main character creating her own valentines.  The show hadn't even ended before Luke was up and out of his seat looking for paper and scissors.  I cut the cards for him and then he cut the hearts and glued them on in all sorts of designs.  After all this, he wrote the traditional TO, FROM and his own name and all the names of his classmates.  That was quite the task from someone who just learned how to spell the word 'from' a few weeks ago.  We decided to break up the task over a 3 day period and Luke happily assigned himself to work on it every day.  I was really proud of him.  Although he refused to write the girls names on the valentines.  He asked me to do that.  He was afraid the girls would recognize his handwriting and think HE was the one who had sent them a love note.  SO FUNNY.  He blushed everytime I teased him about it.

4 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

VERY very cute and creative. Tell Luke good job and I'm so proud of his hard work!! He did such a good job!!

Very funny about the girl names though!!

TBird and Mikelle said...

I love luke and his creativity! Sure do miss seeing his new paper inventions at the gym!

Anonymous said...

Luke is a master of creating. I too enjoy his art work and the way his mind works. Ben

mmmandy! said...

I feel like I keep repeating myself, but I have to say it again: LOVE that kid!! He's awesome!!