"The flower that follows the sun does so even on cloudy days." -Robert Leighton

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Stay Calm Mommy!

Yesterday Luke was trying to play a computer game and exploded when he hit the wrong key causing the game to shut down. He was so angry and looked around the room for everything and anything he could throw, smash or break. Well, our camera happened to be right in his path. He threw it across the room and smashed the LCD screen and some other things. Needless to say, I may not be able to post pics for a little while.
Can I just say how much self control it took to not injure this child? I broke down and cried instead. Luke immediately stopped his tirade and ran over to give me a hug. He said, "It's okay Mommy cuz Daddy is at work making money so we can buy a new one! You don't need to be sad!" These were my thoughts..."Stay calm...stay calm...say a prayer...stay calm...don't hurt him...stay calm...etc..." Since I already had these photos uploaded, I thought I would post them and remind myself how much I still love this little guy.
Luke LOVES pumpkins! That may be an understatement! He wants a pumpkin birthday party some day, a bed shaped like a pumpkin, he wants pumpkin decorations in his room, etc...pretty much anything pumpkin. He can't wait until Halloween. Everyday he asks if it is Halloween yet. The other day he decided to make pumpkins for Daddy and all of his friends at work. He couldn't imagine drawing pumpkins without actually being dressed like a pumpkin too.
Here is documentation of Luke's first written word without ANY help from me. He drew the Easter Bunny carrying a basket of eggs and candy. He then drew a big Easter egg for his 'DAd' and I think he attempted to write 'Mom' too. How fun to see your child spell a word with no help!!!
Just practicing their broom skills for Halloween. Doesn't every child do this?
Oh...and practicing his scarecrow skills too. He has got all his bases covered for Halloween.
BTW, his Aunties Beth and Kay (from Tennessee) gave Luke this orange shirt. He loves it to say the least.

5 comments:

Greg and Torrey said...

i think the halloween genes definitely got passed to this kid! holy cow he's a fan of pumpkins? that is the funniest thing. congrats on "staying calm" i'm sure you wanted to lay the smack down. maybe you should sign him up for some kiddie anger management classes or send him to some boot camps like on the maury show. ha ha. love you guys. sorry about the camera!

Bob said...

You are such a kind and patient woman it's no wonder you are the same as a mom. I need to take some lessons:-)
Right now I'm in uncharted territory with emotional breakdowns from my girls.....heaven help me!
~Melissa

The Blaisdell Family said...

It's a blessing Luke is your child and not mine in that situation. I agree with Torrey, I would have wanted to lay the smack down!! Hard! It's hard to realize sometimes that kids are kids and do kid things like that because they don't fully understand the outcome, but sounds like you did a good job. I'm glad Luke realized you were sad about it though. Maybe that will help him make a better choice next time?

I love Luke's infatuation with Halloween and anything that goes with it. I see so many things that scream Luke but I try to hold back as I'm sure you don't want your whole house filled with halloween decor 365 days a year:)

Jenny said...

I can't believe how big your kids are. Its amazing to think its been over a year since REALLY working the kids club, besides the few saturdays I worked last year, everyone's so big! :( It's good to see how everything is..glad to hear from you!

Becca said...

O.K. I'm trying to stay calm. That was a tough one, wow am I proud of you paying homage to your camera smasher. What a good kid to do you a "favor" and get you an excuse to get an even better camera. This morning, I got a little hot under the collar at my older and told him to "get your a-- in the car." I wish I would have stayed calm. Oh well, he probably thought I was referring to a neighborhood donkey. Hang in there!