"The flower that follows the sun does so even on cloudy days." -Robert Leighton

Friday, December 19, 2008

Dooky Duty

Earlier this week I was having a really bad day. It seemed that everything that could go wrong-did! After putting the kids to bed I finally sat down for a few minutes. All of a sudden Luke came running down the stairs. He was frantic and crying very hard. At first I was mad but then I started to really listen to what he was saying. He told me he had swallowed a 'money' (a coin) by accident. Luke was so scared and immediately fell to his knees and said, "We need to say a prayer RIGHT NOW, Mommy!" He asked me to say it because he was too scared. I felt so happy that he recognized a good time to say a prayer!!! (Good boy, Luke!) After saying a prayer, I called the doctor and asked if it was a big deal to have swallowed a coin and they told me to bring him in immediately for an X-ray. We waited for Ben to come home from work and then headed to the Doctor at 10:30pm. From the X-ray we discovered it was probably a quarter or a Chuck E. Cheese token. It is HUGE! So, needless to say, I have 'Dooky Duty' until the coin shows up! I guess they take Xrays to make sure the coin is in the stomach and not somewhere else. Sometimes a coin can flip over after a few minutes or hours and then block the airway long after the initial swallowing of the coin. I just thought I would share this info because I didn't realize it could potentially be such a serious thing! I will gladly do 'Dooky Duty' until that coin comes. I am just happy that Luke is okay and didn't choke in his bed without me knowing about it :)

1 comment:

The Blaisdell Family said...

That's one of those times that I would be mad for them doing something like that but feel so bad for them at the same time. I didn't realize that it could cause problems well after swallowing it! Thanks for sharing that. I hope he continues to be ok and it comes out soon!! I would be vomiting doing "dooky duty"!!!

What a month you guys have had!!!