"The flower that follows the sun does so even on cloudy days." -Robert Leighton

Friday, February 22, 2008

Earthquake!

Yesterday morning I was awakened when my bed was shaking back and forth. I assumed it was Ben or one of the children shaking it until I looked around and I was the only one in the room. I then noticed the ceiling fan hanging over my head swaying in sync with the bed. It was then that I realized it must be a small earthquake. The shaking didn't last very long, but it made me play-out in my mind a scenario of what I should do if the shaking became more violent. I realized that I didn't know what to do next! I was born in blizzard and tornado country!!! So, I spent a few minutes yesterday searching the internet for info about earthquakes and I thought I would pass it on to you. Don't say I never did anything for you:)

Prepare a Home Earthquake Plan

  • Choose a safe place in every room--under a sturdy table or desk or against an inside wall where nothing can fall on you.
  • Practice DROP, COVER, AND HOLD ON at least twice a year. Drop under a sturdy desk or table, hold on, and protect your eyes by pressing your face against your arm. If there's no table or desk nearby, sit on the floor against an interior wall away from windows, bookcases, or tall furniture that could fall on you. Teach children to DROP, COVER, AND HOLD ON!
  • Choose an out-of-town family contact.
  • Get training in how to use a fire extinguisher from your local fire department.
  • Inform babysitters and caregivers of your plan.
  • Eliminate Hazards, Including--
    Bolting bookcases, china cabinets, and other tall furniture to wall studs. Installing strong latches on cupboards. Strapping the water heater to wall studs.

Prepare a Disaster Supplies Kit For Home and Car, Including--

  • First aid kit and essential medications.
    Canned food and can opener. At least three gallons of water per person. Protective clothing, rainwear, and bedding or sleeping bags.
    Battery-powered radio, flashlight, and extra batteries.
    Special items for infant, elderly, or disabled family members.
    Written instructions for how to turn off gas, electricity, and water if authorities advise you to do so. (Remember, you'll need a professional to turn natural gas service back on.)
  • Keeping essentials, such as a flashlight and sturdy shoes, by your bedside.
  • Know What to Do When the Shaking Begins:
    DROP, COVER, AND HOLD ON! Move only a few steps to a nearby safe place. Stay indoors until the shaking stops and you're sure it's safe to exit. Stay away from windows. In a high-rise building, expect the fire alarms and sprinklers to go off during a quake.
  • If you are in bed, hold on and stay there, protecting your head with a pillow.
  • If you are outdoors, find a clear spot away from buildings, trees, and power lines. Drop to the ground.
  • If you are in a car, slow down and drive to a clear place (as described above). Stay in the car until the shaking stops.
  • Look for and extinguish small fires. Eliminate fire hazards. Turn off the gas if you smell gas or think it's leaking. (Remember, only a professional should turn it back on.)
  • Expect aftershocks. Each time you feel one, DROP, COVER, AND HOLD ON! Inspect your home for damage. Get everyone out if your home is unsafe.
  • Use the telephone only to report life-threatening emergencies.

You can find this info and more at:

http://www.redcross.org/services/disaster/0,1082,0_583_,00.html


2 comments:

Lyndi said...

wow, an earthquake? i never felt one there! where were ben and the kids? did they feel it too? were the kids scared? that's amazing. thanx for the info!

The Boyles said...

Tanya-
So I finally finished my favorite things blog- sorry it took me a while. It was a fun idea though - so thanks!