"The flower that follows the sun does so even on cloudy days." -Robert Leighton

Sunday, February 17, 2008

My Favorite Things

Whenever Oprah does her ‘Favorite Things’ show, I am always curious about the things she chooses and why. The best part of her ‘Favorite Things’ show is that she shares them with others! Well, the other day I thought to myself, “I don’t have to be Oprah to have ‘Favorite Things’. I started to think about the day to day things that I have or use that bring me some form of enjoyment. I thought it would be interesting to find out the ‘Favorite Things’ of my friends and family too. So here it goes…If money were not an issue and you wanted to load up a basket of your most ‘Favorite Things’ and give it to your friends, what would you choose and why? During your day to day life, are there things that you use each day that make you smile or feel good? Is there something that you look forward to everyday? It can be something simple, like the type of pen you use or something big like the type of car you drive. I will list my ‘Things’ and then I will tag a few of you to do the same thing.

1. True Blue lotion from Bath and Body works. I have tried the ‘Type Shea Personality’ lotion and the ‘Lay it on Thick’ lotion. They are amazing. A few years ago I got eczema on my hands and I ended up buying a $165 tube of Rx cream from the doctor. It barely did anything to clear up the eczema-so I tried these lotions and…bye-bye eczema! I also love their lip balm. 2. Method brand cleaning products- my favorite is the daily shower product. It really works! After you take a shower, spray this on your tile and you won’t have to scrub, wipe or rinse. I still deep clean the shower from time to time, but there is half as much soap scum and far less back breaking work. I discovered these products at Target about 2 years ago and I love them. Not to mention, they are also bio-degradable, nontoxic, plant derived and never tested on animals. Oprah recently featured them on her show too-but I found them first!
3. Bounty Select-A-Size paper towels. Hats off to whoever invented these. Most of the time I do not need a full sheet of paper towel and these ½ sheet sizes are just perfect. We end up using a lot less paper towels which is good for my pocket book and good for the earth. You can use them with your Method products that I mentioned above:)


4. Silk brand chocolate soy milk. I don’t know what they put in this stuff, but I have been addicted to it for the last 4 months. I have to have a ½ glass of it everyday. I actually buy the Light kind because I have been on Weight Watchers. I allow myself to have a small treat every day and this is it. I have tried other brands too, but the Silk brand is the best. They have won taste awards and I can see why. It is also loaded with calcium, omega 3 fatty acids and soy protein, which is great for women’s health. My son now asks, “Mommy, can I have some of your ‘special’ chocolate milk?"
5. Sonicare Toothbrush. I have always loved going to the dentist to get my teeth cleaned. I am also an avid flosser (every night baby!). I love the feeling of clean teeth. I have used a Sonicare toothbrush for about 8 years. I am on my second edition and they seem to get better and better. Funny story made VERY short (I will spare you the details): When we were first married, my precious toothbrush went missing and I actually thought someone broke into our apartment and stole it. Ben assured me that no one would want someone else’s toothbrush. Now that I look back, I realize how dumb I was for thinking that, but it goes to show you how much I love my toothbrush.


6. Café Rio’s Fresh Lime Pie. Shhhh! Don’t tell the Weight Watchers people because it is definitely not on the plan. I am not usually a fan of lime or lemon desserts, but this pie is soooooo good. It costs about $3 and you get your own little pie. The crust is amazing and the filling inside is almost cheesecake-ish and then they put fresh whip cream on it (piled up high) with slices of lime. It is so good. I wish Ben never introduced it to me. Just one more reason to go to Cafe Rio!

7. Archer Farms Chocolate Raspberry Waffle Mix and All Natural Raspberry Syrup. We just discovered this on Valentine’s Day. By the way, Archer Farms is a Target brand. The mix has real bits of dark and white chocolate and real raspberries in it. The syrup is all-natural (just raspberries and sugar) and it is so yummy with the waffles. It tasted more like a dessert than anything.

So there is my list for now. I am sure I will discover new 'favorites' in the future...especially after reading some of your 'Favorite Things'. I tag my sister Jaime, Melissa (and Bob too- your last list was great!), Bev, Lyndi, Becca, Cami, Beth, Torrey, Mandy and my hubby, BEN! I can't wait to read them!

4 comments:

mmmandy! said...

I don't know if I can come up with a list of favorite things. I'll think about it, though. There's got to be things I'm not remembering off hand.
The only things that I've used on your list are the paper towels and the sonicare toothbrush. I agree that whoever came up with the select-a-size towels was a true genius! I get annoyed when I'm at my Mom's house, for instance, and she just has the standard large size sheets. I haven't used the Sonicare in years- I need to change that situation. I laughed out loud when I read that you thought someone stole yours!! (I request postings of more newly-wed stories. You guys have the best stories.) I had no idea that Cafe Rio made little pies! Shows how long we've been gone now- sad. It sounds really yummy. By the way- what the heck are you doing at Weight Watchers???

I want you to do a 100 list too. It was a little challenging- it took a few days and asking Travis for ideas. But I find myself thinking of more things I could have put still. I took on the challenge b/c I loved Brandie's list so much and learned a ton about her. Try starting one and see how far you get.

Becca said...

Done! Thanks for the tag and thanks for all the great stuff you suggested. I love you guys and miss you both. I'm thinking about visiting you both this summer with the family, what do you think?

Bob said...

Ok, Tanya I've been thinking all week about my favorite products so I'm posting them today. Also I tried to the Silk Chocolate milk and it is very yummy! See, if it weren't for recommendations there'd be so many things we'd miss out on. Thanks for sharing your favorites.
Melissa

The Blaisdell Family said...

I like that "thick" lotion too. Lahna bought some once and it worked great! It's smells good too:)

I remember you telling me about the "method" products before but haven't gotten around to getting some. I do want to try it though. Target has a lot of good stuff (especially their store brand stuff!!)

p.s. I finally did this tag today so check it out when you get a moment:)