"The flower that follows the sun does so even on cloudy days." -Robert Leighton

Saturday, February 9, 2008

My Magic Shoes!

I made these shoes about 4 years ago for Halloween. I, of course was Dorothy, Ben was the Scarecrow and Luke was the Lion. Luke was only 6 months old, so he doesn't remember my shoes and I have had them stored away in my closet. Well, a few weeks ago, Luke watched The Wizard of Oz and absolutely LOVED it! He wanted to watch it again, and again and again....well, you get the point. A few days later he was snooping through my closet and discovered my red shoes. Luke pulled them out with complete amazement. His jaw was gaping open as he ran to find me. He said, "Mommy, look what I found. I didn't know you were Dorothy!" I laughed so hard. He really thinks my shoes are the real thing. Luke asks me to wear them in the house and to randomly click them together. Each time I do it, his face lights up with delight. One day he insisted that I wear them-but I was trying to make dinner-so I just slipped them on so that he would be quiet and leave the kitchen. I forgot that I was wearing them and Ben came home from work. Ben took one look at me and said, "What the heck is going on?" Anyway, I have since retired the shoes. I spent many hours on those things and I want them to stay in one piece. 4 years ago I found these white dye-able shoes at DI. They were brand new and MY size. I couldn't pass it up so I painted them red and then glued each piece of sequins on the shoe and then made the ribbons for them. Every time I wear them, we end up with tiny pieces of sequins all over the house.

3 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

I can only imagine how excited Luke was to find those shoes. And it is of no surprise he loved OZ. That is right up his ally!!

The Boyles said...

I love the shoes :) - Jordan has never seen The Wizard of Oz, but I think he would love it. How are you? Our family is doing well except that I am battling the flu -miserable - but that's just life sometimes.

:) Cami

Beverly and Dave said...

That is so stinkin cute! I just love to hear stories like that. I am truly going to miss when my kids aren't so innocent anymore and full of such great imagination.