"The flower that follows the sun does so even on cloudy days." -Robert Leighton

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Calling All Space Rangers!

This is Star Command. Buzz Lightyear and Space Ranger Luke need your help!

MISSION:

Come join team Lightyear and defeat Emperor Zurg's plan to end all birthdays.
Please RSVP to Star Command Control Center!

(This was written on Luke's party invitations. Photo: courtesy of Luke)

Welcome Space Rangers!...and little princesses who like to dress themselves.

What Buzz Lightyear party would be complete without his pals from Toy Story? Here are the Green Army Men protecting the Mr. Potato Head cake.

After the party, I asked Luke what his VERY favorite part of the party was...nope, not the Moon Rock Treasure Hunt (explained below)... nope, not the presents...yep, you guessed it! The Mr. Potato Head cake. That made his mommy feel REEEEAAALY good. It was worth all the effort I put into it! He said the same thing last year when I made him a cake too. You know what? Now that I think of it, I can't tell you who attended my b-day parties when I was a little girl and I can't tell you what presents I received...but I can tell you about the cakes my mother made me. There is something special about a homemade cake from mom!!! It must be all the extra care and love that goes into it.

One of Luke's buddies, James, showed up wearing the coolest Buzz costume we had ever seen. His mom only paid $15 for it from the Disney Store down in San Antonio!!! We won't mention how much we paid for Luke's costume. Let's just say he's worth it!

The Moon Rock Treasure Hunt.
Each child decorated a Space Ranger Badge (designed by yours truly) and a white bag. We had all the Space Rangers go in the backyard and find the moon rocks left behind from Buzz. Each rock contained small toys or candy. It was such a hit!!!

All the Space Rangers opened their moon rocks with such speed! There was aluminum foil flying everywhere! I wish I had taken an 'after' picture-but we were having problems with our camera...you know the way parties go! Not everything goes as planned.

(Ben and I wrapped 140 little pieces of candy and toys! Whew! But it was worth it.)

Here is the birthday boy on his actual b-day. He is wearing a new outfit from Aunt Jaime and blowing bubbles from a gift given by Grandma Marge and Papa Ed.


Here is little Ashlynn looking so sweet and pretty...what a little angel-right?...just wait til you see the last photo. HEHE!

Luke wanted to go to a park and blow bubbles and feed the ducks for his birthday. But no park experience would be complete without climbing a few trees with his Daddy.

And finally, here is the picture I was referring to. Look at Ashlynn's face! This is the same face we see when we don't let her watch Dora or force her to wear an outfit that she hates, or remove her sparkly princess shoes without permission. Sorry, I know this post was suppose to be about Luke's special day, but this picture makes us laugh everytime we look at it! We love little Ashlynn.

Anyway, we love you too, Luke! We hope you had a fun couple of days to celebrate your birthday. We are so blessed to have you as our son. You make everything fun!

7 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

HOW FUN!! Looks like everything turned out great. My friend in MN (from TX) just did a space party for their 6 yr. old and did the moon rock candy/toys too! I never heard of that, but it sounds awesome and I will have to remember that. I would love to do a space party (and dino party) someday, but so far neither boy has been into that. Maybe now they will be that I bought them some glow in the dark stars for their bedroom:)

I can imagine how excited Luke was for his party. You did a GREAT job on the cake and badges. I can't believe you drew that!! Well, I can, but it looks perfect so good job!!!!

I hope Luke liked his birthday outfit. He looks really cute in it and so grown up!! Such a cute cute cute little boy!

Happy Birthday Luke and you guys have fun in Hawaii!!

Anonymous said...

Hi TANYA & BEN:

Thanks for the neat birthday pictures! I loved them. I didn't even recognize Luke in his new outfit from Aunt Jaime & Uncle Craig. He looks so grown-up.
I also got a kick out of the picture of Ashlynn TEE HEE TEE HEE!
I can't believe that sweet Aahlynn has that side of her.
Have a wonderful vacation. You both really deserve it.
Love you all---Mom and Dad

Bob said...

Happy Birthday Luke! What a fun party--I just love planning kids' parties, making homemade bday cakes and being creative. You've always been so creative Tanya...your kids are so lucky!
When do you leave for Hawaii?? Have SO much fun!!!
Melissa

Beth said...

Tanya that cake is awesome!! You guys are such great parents!!

susana said...

Hi Ben and Tanya- I saw your blog address on the mission updates and thought that I would say hello. It has been such a long time, your kids are adorable! It is amazing how fast time goes by. I see Lee ann and Tawni every now and then, they usually stay with me on their way to Utah! It sounds like you guys are doing so awesome! We will have to keep in touch, I am trying to do better to keep my blog updated, it is such a great way to keep in touch with family and friends.

Susana (Echols)

mmmandy! said...

Man! I was just there (literally around the corner from your house at Cafe Rio) on Saturday! My grandma died last week and so Taylor and I went up there for the funeral. We spent the majority of the time in Logan, but I SO wanted to stop by and say hi! Since I didn't have a car and had my entire family with me, with their own agendas, I couldn't swing it.
:(

What an awesome party! I have to say- you are the birthday queen! You do such great work with each party that you do. LOVE everything! Are you available for Blake and Taylor in June?!

Greg and Torrey said...

cute cute cute! i can't believe how fast these kids grow up... boggles my mind. and you and ben are hotter than ever... mean it.