"The flower that follows the sun does so even on cloudy days." -Robert Leighton

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Out of the Mouths of Babes...

Every night Luke asks me to sing him this song:

Jesus once was a little child,
A little child like me;
And he was pure and meek and mild,
As a little child should be.
So, little children,
Let’s you and I try to be like him, try, try, try.
(Words: James R. Murray, 1841–1905; Music: Joseph Ballantyne, 1868–1944)

Well, tonight he wanted to sing it with me. He had the sweetest little voice. All the mispronunciations and off key moments only added to his ability to melt frozen butter. After we finished singing the song, he said,
"Mommy, I love that song. It makes me so happy I feel like crying."

Something about that song really touches him and he took a moment to let me know it. This verse from the New Testament popped into my mind:
"...Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted,
and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven." -Matthew 18:3

Luke's comment made me think about my own daily actions and thoughts. Day after day, I feel like I am always trying to teach my children to make good choices and be kind to others-but I rarely allow my children to teach me. Luke's little comment was so simple, so sweet, so pure and so TRUE! We could all learn to be more teachable, humble and kind...just like Jesus!

1 comment:

The Blaisdell Family said...

Thanks for sharing this. I too need to pay more attention to the things my kids can teach ME, not always the other way around.