"The flower that follows the sun does so even on cloudy days." -Robert Leighton

Monday, August 25, 2008

Camping in the Backyard

At the beginning of August (yes, I am still trying to catch up on blogging), we decided to try camping in the backyard as a test run. We wanted to see how the kids would do in the backyard before we spent a lot of time and money at a real campground. Can you see the growing hyperactivity and excitement on their faces? This photo captures a rare moment when Luke was actually IN his sleeping bag. We bought a few snacks and treats to eat in the tent while we read stories with a flashlight. These two had so much fun but the hyperactivity level was out of control!!!

I think we could have used Ashlynn's hair as a measurement of hyperactivity. As the night proceeded, her hair grew taller and taller. While Ben and I tried to sleep, our heads kept getting stepped on because the two of them were playing, singing and dancing!!! 10pm passed quickly, 11pm tested our anger management skills, and at 12am we offered them one last chance to go to sleep. A little before 1:00am we finally decided that neither of them was going to fall asleep, so we packed things up and put them in their own beds in the house. Within 5 minutes, both of them were sound asleep and Ben and I were so angry that we had to watch a little bit of TV to calm ourselves! We won't be trying this again for a few years!!!

5 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

Ok, I about wet my pants when I saw Ashlynn's HAIR!!!! That is out of control and the funniest hair I've ever seen on a kid I know! She definitely takes after the Smith family with camping hair!

I don't blame you for not wanting to try again any time soon. I wouldn't either!!

Greg and Torrey said...

i too love ashlynn's hair! hilarious. your kids look like they were having the time of their lives... sorry you and ben did not feel the same. it's never fun to have your face stepped on... i feel ya.

mmmandy! said...

You guys are such good parents for even trying! and then the fact that you stayed out there until 1:00am just makes you SUPER parents. I can tell you right now, that Trav and I wouldn't have lasted more than an hour!

BTW- That hair is the coolest thing I've ever seen!!

smdc said...

The cutest kids! Who could believe that, 10 years later, we'd be so "grown-up?"!?

The Boyles said...

Too funny - I guess looking back on it right?! Kris has been dying to have Jordan camp out in our backyard and i am going to show him this so he knows what he is in for! Your kids are so cute though - and by the way I love the new family photo of you all. It has been so long since I have seen you- I wish we could get together!

P.S. Is there a way you could let Lyndi know I would love to see their blog? She commented on ours once, but since I don't have an e-mail for her and theirs is private I have no idea how to communicate with her!