"The flower that follows the sun does so even on cloudy days." -Robert Leighton

Friday, January 29, 2010

8. Friendships Made In Heaven

     One of the things in life that has brought me so much unexpected joy is watching my children play, interact with and love their cousins. It is a simple joy that I never tire from observing.  I guess part of it comes from the fact I never had the opportunity to develop friendships with my cousins.  My sisters and I were always the youngest and lived far away from any of our cousins.  Sadly, I don't even know how many cousins I have and I can only name two of them!  This is not a tradition I wish to carry on.  I am so thankful my children know each of their cousins from both sides of our family.  They can name them all by name.  They worry and think about them.  They miss them.  They include them in their prayers.  They don't want to say good bye to them....these are truly friendships made in heaven.  I LOVE it!  Luke even made up a rule all by himself..."If cousins come over, then I don't want the TV to be on.  ONLY PLAYTIME!"

     For example, at the close of a visit with my sister and her family, we asked Ashlynn to say goodbye to cousin Avery and her brothers.  Ashlynn and Avery both started crying...a lot.  I (being clueless to this particular bond of friendship) kept asking Ashlynn what was wrong.  I asked her if she was hurt.  I asked her if she was fighting over a toy with Avery...and etc.  Finally, Ashlynn blurted out between sobs..."I'm SAD MOM!!!"  I was startled and couldn't believe my 3 year old was crying at the thought of saying goodbye to her cousin.  Ashlynn followed Avery out to the minivan...crying and hugging her all the way.  After their minivan drove away, Ashlynn ran up to her room, buried herself in a blanket, curled up in a ball, and repeatedly told me how sad she was. She didn't want to play or do anything.  The poor girl was needing some chocolate to help the situation!  It was sad, but so adorable.

2 comments:

The Blaisdell Family said...

I love these friendships too. I hope it just gets better with time.

I love this picture of these two. So sweet just loving each other and not even thinking about it. Love it!

Mandy said...

That's so sweet! My kids get together with their cousins a lot and it's so fun for them to be close.