"The flower that follows the sun does so even on cloudy days." -Robert Leighton

Sunday, January 31, 2010

9. Create!

My whole life I always thought and believed I didn't have any talents.  There was nothing I was good at.  There was nothing I could do well.  Thinking those thoughts sure makes a person feel worthless.  I feel like I have spent most of my life admiring the talents of others and wishing I had those same talents.  It wasn't till a few years ago that I actually came to the realization that I could draw and do crafts well.  I have always enjoyed doing those things-but I never thought anything of it.  Last summer I came across this quote from a Visting Teaching Message in the Ensign magazine: 

“Lifelong learning is essential to the vitality of the human mind, body, and soul. It enhances self-worth and self-actuation. Lifelong learning is invigorating mentally and is a great defense against aging, depression, and self-doubt” (“The Journey of Lifelong Learning,” in Brigham Young University 2008–2009 Speeches [2009], 2, 8–9).

I think developing one's talents is lifelong learning.  This last year as I have fought depression every waking moment, it wasn't till I reviewed my 1300 photos that I realized one more blessing in my life...finding enjoyment in 'creating' things.  Each time I made something and took a step back to look at it...I felt joy and more self worth.  If you haven't seen this YouTube presentation from Elder Uchtdorf called 'CREATE'- click on it!!  It will be worth the 1 minute 54 seconds it will take you to watch it.  One of my favorite people in the world is Elder Uchtdorf and his message is undeniably inspired.  Enjoy!


I didn't take photos of all my projects, but I am so happy I took a few. To the rest of the world these may not look like much, but to me and my family they brought us a few smiles.


My first princess birthday cake for Ashlynn.  I have a feeling it won't be the last one I make for her. She loved it, but was a bit traumatized when we cut it up and ate it. 

Made in honor of Luke's deceased pet snail named Snaily Pyster (pronounced PIE-STIR).  He was so distraught about losing him that I thought making him a t-shirt would help him feel better.  He LOVED it and tried to wear it for a week straight. 


Back Story: My mom is not afraid of bugs, snails, snakes, mice....or anything like it.  At her cabin in the mountains she saw a snake one day and ran around the front yard chasing it.  She wanted to catch it and show it to Luke.  My Dad, Ben and I all yelled out, " I wouldn't do that if I were you...what if it is poisonous?"  She didn't care and kept chasing it.  Luke's eyes were popping out of his head.  He looked terrified and amazed by what his Grandma was doing.  She caught the snake and showed it to Luke.  Forget the snake...Luke couldn't take his eyes off his amazing Grandma.  A week later I overheard Luke talking to a group of boys at my work.  He said, "Did you guys know that Grandmas are the only ones in the world who can catch snakes?"  Thus the reason for creating the t-shirt. :)  I love it.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

That really is a talent! I wish I was more creative.

Greg and Torrey said...

you are such an artistic being! i admire your creativity and creative talent. way to be awesome!

The Blaisdell Family said...

I love hearing that story about mom and the snake. It makes me laugh every time. I can only imagine the look on Luke's face at the time of it happening! So very funny!

And yes, you are very talented and good at what you do!

mmmandy! said...

From the moment I heard that talk by Elder Uchtdorf, it has become a kind of mantra for me. I have a copy of it on my nightstand and read it often. I've ALWAYS struggled with creativity. His words gave me more confidence that I had truly inherited some of the creative characteristics of our Heavenly Father and that all I had to do was discover what they were. One of the things he said that struck me the most is that the more we rely on the Spirit, the greater the ability we will have to create. I love that!

I'm SO happy that you have found some of your creative niches. I can't believe that cake!! Amazing!! I've loved seeing your drawings from the past several years... and now you do illustrations too!!
Still, I think that perhaps your greatest talent is being a mom. Reading the things that you do for your kids and the way that you love them, makes me want to be a better mom, myself. You really are such an incredible person! And I'm beyond happy that you are beginning to understand how awesome you are too! Thank you for being my friend! ♥

mmmandy! said...

So sorry for the crazy long comment! YIKES!